When you're first implementing healthier alternatives to your diet and nutrition, you can start to have some serious cravings for those go-to meals you used to make on a regular basis. This is especially true for those comfort foods we crave after a long day, like a big bowl of mac & cheese. This is why we love this recipe here at Boundless Health, it's the perfect healthy alternative to your classic mac & cheese that still satisfies your appetite for something cheesy and delicious. Thank you to Nourished Balance for our favorite "mac & cheese" recipe!
- 5 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite size pieces
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or homemade broth)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 organic egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsps Nutritional yeast
- 2 cups organic mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a baking dish with unsalted butter
- Place cauliflower pieces in steamer basket, add a pinch of salt. Steam until al dente (not too soft, not too hard)
- Spread cauliflower pieces evenly at the bottom of the baking dish
- In a saute pan over medium heat, heat up the coconut milk- add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add the broth and keep stirring- then add the coconut flour heat until simmering
- Take pan off the heat, add the egg and nutritional yeast to the sauce and stir with a fork until well incorporated
- The sauce will thicken- pour over the cauliflower. Add the cheese evenly and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn the oven onto broil for 3-5 minutes to get a nice brown coloring on top.
And don't forget to eat mindfully so you truly enjoy each bite of this savory meal!